Once a year at work at my old position in Nashville, without fail, we would receive a bundle of phone books -- one for pretty much every phone we had in the office, which outnumbered people like five to one. And those phone books stayed bundled in their plastic wrap pretty much until the next bundle arrived a year later and someone finally decided they should be tossed.
Cause really, who uses hard copy phone books anymore? That's what Google is for.
I think our office manager called the phone company to try to tell them we didn't need any more phone books, but I'm pretty sure that didn't stop them from coming.
Well, a project called Yellow Pages Goes Green makes it very, very simple to opt out. Click here for the form to opt your address out of receiving books ... you can select yellow pages, white pages or both.
And if you need some more motivation than just not wanting those wieldy books around your house, consider this from Yellow Pages Goes Green:
To produce the 500 million books distributed annually:
- 19 million trees need to be harvested
- 1.6 billion pounds of paper are wasted
- 7.2 million barrels of oil are misspent in their processing (not including the wasted gas used for their delivery to your doorstep)
- 268,000 cubic yards of landfill are taken up
- 3.2 billion kilowatt hours of electricity are squandered
(Cheers to Cool People Care)
UPDATE: Ken, who appears to be commenting on behalf of the phone book industry, wants to clarify the source of the paper for the phone books:
"Currently, on average, most publishers are using about 40% recycled material (from the newspapers and magazines you are recycling curbside), and the other 60% comes from wood chips and waste products of the lumber industry. If you take a round tree and make square or rectangular lumber from it, you get plenty of chips and other waste. Those by-products make up the other 60% of the raw material needed. Note that these waste products created in lumber milling would normally end up in landfills."
That's certainly good to know, but I shall add my own additional 2 cents in saying that it still takes resources to package and ship these books, which judging by the other comments, some people don't want in the first place. I imagine the recycled material could be repurposed into another paper product.